योऽसौ ध्वनिविशेषस्तु स्वरवर्णविभूषितः ।
- रञ्जको जनचित्तानां स च राग उदाहृतः ।।
- "That which is a special dhwani (tune), is bedecked with swara (notes) and varna and is colorful and delightful to the minds of the people, is said to be rāga" - Matanga in the Brihaddeshi.
- Long before my first trip to the subcontinent, I acquired a couple of these beautiful volumes of Inidan ragas on cassette--from the free pile at the dump. Probably my first introduction to music outside of the western sphere o' influence; I was transfixed with what sounded so alien to these young ears who only a few years prior had just discovered dad's floyd and zep records. Almost a decade and a half later these tapes are among some of my most cherished items from childhood.
- There are ragas for many occasions...time of day, time of year, the mood of the weather...think monsoons... The Music Today label first released these as a multi-volume set including "Morning Ragas", "Afternoon Ragas", "Evening Ragas", and here we have "Night Ragas".
- Save this set for after the glorious sun, once again, has passed us for an evening.
1. Raga Shuddh Nat -29:40 / Mallikarjun Mansur - vocal
2. Raga Kedar - 15:15 / Padma Talwalkar - vocal
3. Raga Jhinjhoti - 14:40 / Hariprasad Chaurasia - flute
1. Raga Hamir - 15:05 / Padma Talwalkar - vocal
2. Raga Tilak Kamod - 15:00 / Shahid Parvez - sitar
3. Raga Bageshwari - 30:20 / Pandit Jasraj - vocal
1. Raga Maru Bihag - 14:45 / Shruti Sadolikar - vocal
2. Raga Jaijaiwanti - 14:45 / Rajan and Sajan Mishra - vocal
3. Raga Malkauns - 29:50 / Hariprasad Chaurasia - flute
1. Raga Nayiki Kanhara - 29:45 / Shruti Sadolikar - vocal
2. Raga Des - 15:05 / Pandit Jasraj - vocal
3. Raga Darbari - 13:45 / Amjad Ali Khan - sarod